Monday 12 September 2016

Gillieston Heights Teenager Wins Gold At Paralympics

BY IAN CROUCH

Gilleston Heights swimmer, Maddison Elliott has claimed Australia's 5th gold medal at the Paralympic Games in Rio, winning the S8 100 metre freestyle in a Paralympic record time of 1:04.73.

She won bronze in the same event as a 13-year-old at the London Paralympics in 2012,

Maddison became the youngest Australian to win a Paralympic medal when she took bronze in the S8 400 metre freestyle in London. She also won gold in the 4X100 women's relay and silver in the S8 50 metre freestyle, bagging 4 medals from the London Paralympics.

After her win this morning, 17-year-old Maddi told the Seven Network she's dedicating her gold to friend and fellow Hunter swimmer, Jade Frith, who tragically passed away a few months ago.

"I really want to dedicate this to my friend, Jade. She's been my best friend for so long and since I lost her a couple of months ago, I'm going to dedicate this medal to you. I love you and I miss you," she said.

Maddison Elliott