Monday 25 September 2017

Electoral Commission Withdraws Charge Against Wallsend MP

BY IAN CROUCH

The NSW Electoral Commission has withdrawn a charge against Wallsend MP, Sonia Hornery over improper use of the electoral roll.

Ms Hornery was accused of using her position as an MP to access enrollment information about an elector who did not reside in her electorate.

It was alleged the Member for Wallsend used the information to write to a woman in the Charlestown electorate after the pair had argued on social media about the ban on greyhound racing.

In a statement issued on Monday morning, Sonia Hornery said she was pleased that the charge had been withdrawn by the Commission and dismissed by the Court.

"I have always considered that the charge against me to have no substance and that I had done nothing wrong," she said.

Ms Hornery also thanked the community of Wallsend for its support.

"I'm a defender of my community against the injustices and this process has sharpened my motivation to continue defending the battlers," she said.

Charge Withdrawn and Dismissed: Wallsend Mp Sonia Hornery